South East Wales RIGS (Regionally Important Geodiversity Sites) works to enhance and protect a suite of geological sites across South East Wales.
What We Do
- Identifying sites with RIGS potential
- Vetting the status of exposures on known sites
- Site clearance
- Site descriptions
- Information on RIGS sites to the public
[see also the Project Plan for the various steps in the process]
How You Can Help
- Join, membership only costs £5
- Help with vetting sites
- Help with site clearance
- Help logging sites (for those with the geological knowledge)
Currently penciled in (where not shown, exact dates will be confirmed nearer the time):
- Quarella Quarry Workday – 12 June 2019, 10:30
- Next general meeting in the small meeting room of Talgarth Town Hall, 15 September, 10:00–14:00
- Reconnaissance of selected Swansea RIGS sites near Mumbles
If you want to take part but are unsure how to go about it, please contact our chairman Nigel McGaw at nimar.nmcgaw at gmail.com.
- Site visit to Wildmill, 24 April 2019
- Site visit to Cefn Ila, 17 April 2019
- General Meeting 6 April 2019, Parc Slip, followed by a visit to Stormy Down
- Ruperra Workday 1 April 2019
- Visit to Usk Inlier Sites 20 February 2019 (Visit Report)
Note: when using the above email addresses, replace the ‘at’ with the @-sign.
Relevant data on RIGS sites and various bits of documentation are held on two external hard drives, which are the property of the South-East Wales RIGS Group.