Please Note: If you want to take part in any of the events below, but are unsure how to go about it, please contact our chairman Nigel McGaw at nimar.nmcgaw at gmail.com (Note: when using the above email addresses, replace the ‘at’ with the @-sign).
Currently penciled in (where not shown, exact dates will be confirmed nearer the time):
- General Meeting 6 April 2019, Parc Slip, followed by a visit to Stormy Down and possibly Pyle
- Pencilled-in site visits to Ruperra and possibly Llandegfedd Reservoir
- Three sites local to Llanhennock with RIGS potential: Llandegffedd Reservoir, owned by Welsh Water who are keen to have our opinion on suitability; Cilwrgi quarry, a private site on Cilwrgi Farm which is owned and managed by Prescoed Open Prison who would like to have the site cleared; Cefn Ila (Woodland Trust), part of which is already a SSSI for exposures of the Usk Limestone.
- Approach by the Living Wells Project (Keep Wales Tidy) whose initial phase involves wells/springs in the Brecon Beacons area, some of which have already been designated as RIGS. This will be a citizen science project starting in spring 2019, lasting 3 years & funded by the HLF.
- Contact by Dr G T Bowen about a site at Llanilid near Bridgend, where a kettle hole has already been partially damaged by open cast mining & is now further threatened by housing development.
- Suggestion from Alan Bowring/BBNPA that SEWRIGS might like to be involved with geological interpretation at Craig y Fro.
- Radyr Quarry (currently shelved)
- Geopark monitoring